Sunday, July 09, 2006

More katrina truth

Greetings.

Just came back from another Whirlwind post-Katrina trip. I went down again to NOLA with a very good friend to pick up the remainder of my stuff. Lucky for me it was from my office on the twentith floor of the World trade Center (yes, there is more than one WTC). FYI NOLA's WTC was the first one built!

In any event, there was progress, if that's what you want to call it. In other words, about 80% of the debris was actually out of the street. This is not to say it's gone, it's been conveniently moved. The people down there are trying to feel better about themselves. they are not completely the walking wounded or Zombies that I saw when I was last down there in February. I feel so sorry for everyone. Regardless of your own situation down there, you are living and driving through Hell daily. It's more than a drag; more than an inconvenience: no one in America deserves to live like that. It's like being in the Middle East. And like the Middle East, no one back in America really cares.

the sad thing is, how do the locals take care of it?I can barely cut my grass, let alone build a house. Now multiply that by 100,000. It's just too much.

When I finally moved away, someone said that in about a year, more people would follow. He was right. More people have either taken their insurance money or not gotten insurance money and can't hold out any longer, so they have moved (or trying) to move on. I, like the people I left behind, want to be nutured, recognized, and taken care of. I want some security and feel that I've worked hard enough that I don't have to work harder than the next group.


Although this wan't originally played as the great equalizer, it was the poor that got the shaft, etc. I think all would agree that ALL of us down in Louisiana truly got screwed, black, white, rich or poor. Katrina brought my style of living down considerably and my estate will be paying my debts after I'm gone. Of course, I could win the lottery, but I'm going with the high debt factor instead. I'm genuinely sick of people telling how lucky I am to have the ability to be in debt. It's an incredibly stupid thing for people to say. But that's the American way, build a positive out of a negative and move onto the next commercial.

No comments: