Saturday, September 03, 2005

Things to consider PT III

I hope you don't think I am too flippant. I am just SOOOOO happy to be out and to be safe. There is a sense of disconnect. Therefore, it's easier to assume the best!

A few points of interest for those who aren't familiar with the underpinning of the area:
1. This is NOT Mayor Nagin's fault.
2. Those of means got out; those without did not.
3. Your assumption of the lack of response because of racism would be more true than not.
4. When you see the I-10 staging area on the news (Metairie) they are showing my exit to my apt. If I were standing on the Interstate for five days, you can bet I'd go into the neighborhoods and forage for food.

Write somebody. Let them know that this isn't the way to handle things, that Americans should never be treated this way, that the victims that have been abandoned pay taxes and fully participate in the American process. This is an embarrassment to all we purport to be.

There are thousands of people like me, that had the means to abandon their homes and lifestyles. The middle class can only assume that in a year we will be in a better place, resilient, and moving forward. I shudder to think what will be the disposition of the people that have been left behind.

No comments: